Tuesday, September 4, 2012

How did I get here

Normal people might start with this being their first post.  Not me! I like to start writing about what I like first then introduce myself.  That's kind of how I am if we met in person.  I'll talk about random stuff, but not really open up about myself.

Anywhoo, I figured I made enough evasive comments about my working situation it's time to explain.
I'm a legal secretary (kind of like a paralegal without schooling or important work, I just type & answer phones).  I worked for a small-ish law firm for 5 years.  The last year that I was there was tough.
There were changes in the company, more responsibility and personal issues that I was dealing with.  Every aspect of my life suffered. I was miserable and was making those around me miserable.  I woke up with stomach pains worried about work and at work I worried about my personal life.  Not a good combination.

It came to a head the beginning of November 2011 when my boss let me go.  The split was amicable and it was the best thing that happened to me.

This has given me the time that I needed to breathe.  I can now focus on my life as a wife and keeping the house in order and take the time to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.

Since November 2011 I've been able to do things around the house that I never had the chance to do.  Like paint the full bathroom, organize my recipes and keep the house clean.  I'm no longer embarrassed if someone drops by unannounced. I know the house is neat.

I do need to get back into the workforce.  I've been looking at jobs like the one I came from.  It's not what I love.  Honestly, I'm not sure what it is that I love.  I enjoy doing things with decorating and reading blogs.  That's why I started my own.  I needed to feel like I had a purpose each day.  I no longer want to say I'm just unemployed. I want to say that I do something each day.

I think some people figure when you're unemployed you just sit around the house watching tv all day.  I wish I could do that! Well, not really, since I'm not a huge fan of tv, but I'd love to just sit around all day an read a good book.  I'm busy every day with errands to run, chores to do, people to help out with, decorating, organizing, etc.  There are days I'm more exhausted now then before when I had a 9-5 job!

I am very lucky to have such an amazing husband.  He actually cheered when I was let go.  He was just happy to have the old me back!  Although, I'm sure he'd be a lot happier if I was a better cook! haha

On job interviews I've been asked where I see myself in 5 years.  That's a hard question to answer. Five years ago I didn't think I'd be where I am today.  I'd like to go back to school someday and actually be proud to say what I do for a living. I guess in 5 years I'd like to have a family and a job that I'm proud of.  I was never proud of my job. I was embarrassed to say what I did. Especially when I ran into old friends who were now nurses and lawyers.  But, I gave my job my all.  There were days I went home smiling feeling like I accomplished something.

For now, I'm in between jobs, concentrating on my life as a wife, as myself and hopefully a blogger. I'm working towards a 5 year plan....which is to take life as it comes. Curveballs and all!

No comments:

Post a Comment