Thursday, December 1, 2011

Thanksgiving fun

So this was the first year Mr. Pal and I got to host Thanksgiving! We were so excited to host and couldn't wait for the big day.  First off, let me just explain that we live in a townhouse, it's not small, but it's not large either, so having to fit 14 people at dinner was a bit daunting.  But, on the bright side, 4 of those people were under the age of 14, so they don't really take up that much room! haha

The tables, we had three of them, fit perfectly in our dining room.  There was room for everyone and plenty of space for all the food! I should mention that Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday! I love that you get together with family and eat all day long, and the main dish is turkey! I love turkey!

So, back to the tables.  While shopping for Thanksgiving goodies one weekend, Mr. Pal and I came across these red chargers that you can put plates on.  We figured it would add a nice touch since our china is round and it may look fancy.  Well, I am happy to say that they were a hit! Mr. Pal's step-mom complimented them that they made the table to elegant! Between you and me, all that elegance was only $1.50 each! Nice, right?!

As I said, we had 14 people for dinner.  That many people all clamoring at once for the turkey can cause a bit of chaos.  So, I decided to make my a bridezilla and have assigned seating.  Instead of being "that person" who stands at the head of the table and dictates while pointing where you should sit, I decided to make little place cards.  I made an assortment of acorns, pumpkins, turkeys, pilgrim hats and pilgrims all cut out from card stock.  Here's how it looked!  I rolled the silverware into the napkin, tied it with some raffia I had lying around (doesn't everyone have this in their house?) and then added the place card.  Done!  Everyone knew where to sit and I didn't have to yell out, "No, no get up! You sit there!"


And yes, there was a menu! Ok, so maybe I went a bit overboard, but I loved the menu idea!



Of course, it wouldn't be Thanksgiving without a Thankful Tree.  Yep, we had one of those.  I cut out different leaf shapes from cardstock in fall colors, then added string for everyone to hang on our "tree."


I need to say "tree" very loosely.  Yeah, it's just a branch.  Go ahead ask me how long it too me to find it.  Simple, I sent Mr. Pal out into the woods behind our house the morning of Thanksgiving.  You know its love when your husband has no problem searching for tree branches while you're both trying to cook a turkey for 14 people!


I put the Thankful tree on the entry table and placed a pen and explanation so everyone can fill out a leaf.  It went well, the kids all filled out a leaf and some of the adults did too!  Mr. Pal and I had fun at the end of the night reading all the leaves.


All in all, Thanksgiving was a success.  How was the turkey you ask? Well, hold onto your buttons, it was soooooooo good!  Mr. Pal and I brined it beforehand and it really did make a huge difference. I can no longer offer you a piece because it's gone, but here's what it looked like fresh out of the oven.  YUM!  I drool a little when I look at this picture.


  Well,  now it's time to get ready for Christmas!  And no, this time we're not hosting.  We need a break!
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment