Thursday, December 8, 2011

A place for everything, everything in it's place

I'm such a firm believer in the title of this post.  I love knowing exactly where everything is.  I love knowing that there's a designated spot for all of our stuff.

Take our closet for example, shirts are all color-coded.  Including all of Mr. Pal's t-shirts.  I know it's a bit messy, but I need to purchase another one of those hanging organizer things.  Even with the mess, on weekends when we're ready to go out, if Mr. Pal is looking for a specific shirt, he knows what "color cube" to look in.

That being said, our desk and craft supplies were really, really irking me.  I had desk supplies in a three drawer cabinet but there was no rhyme or reason to any of it. Plus, the cabinet was in the closet of the spare bedroom, which is no longer were the computer is.


All my craft stuff was spread out between three different bins.  I tried to keep some sort of peace with my craft supplies by keeping paints together and ribbons together, but it just annoyed me that if I was working on a project I had to stop and get another bin if I needed a ribbon or a ruler.


Plus, I was constantly forgetting where my glue gun was.  This resulted in me being the proud owner of two glue guns. (just in case I get really crazy crafty I can go double-fisted with my glue!)


So, after moving the new improved desk to our bedroom, I figured now was as good a time as any to get all the desk & craft supplies organized.

I started by dumping everything out to see what I have.  Let me tell you, we will never have a shortage of paper clips in the Pal household.  Seriously, why do we have to many. And honestly, there are times like I feel I can never find a paper clip. (i'm beginning to see a trend here: multiple glue guns, multiple paper clips, ugh! before your know we'll have multiple bunnies. kidding.  maybe)


Since I really didn't want to part with anything (hoarder maybe??) I decided I would just keep the like stuff together.  In the top drawer I have all our desk supplies.  This includes the many paper clips, rubber bands, index cards, rulers, razor (in case the scissors don't work?), etc.  I made sure there was a spot for everything so there wouldn't be a mish mosh of supplies every time we open and close the drawer.  I like it.  It's not as convenient to get some of the supplies as I would like, but hey, it never killed anyone to move one item to get to another item.


The second drawer became my craft drawer.  I was able to fit all my paint, my brushes, my ink pads, even my fancy scissors in this drawer! I'm thinking of adding a dab of paint to the top of the paint jars so I know which color is which.  I have tons of time so I'm sure I'll be able to get it done.  Maybe this week. Maybe keep your eyes peeled for an update.  Maybe.  But don't hold your breath, I don't want to feel pressured.


The third drawer is for all my leftover fabrics and ribbons.  It also stores my graphing paper and the two glue guns.

With the drawers all filled up, I just moved the dresser next to the desk and added the drawers.  Now all our supplies are next to our desk.


Oh and see that basket on top?  That's my holding area for projects that I'm working on at the moment.  I love that I have space for that.  Usually my "in-progress projects" were just left out on the dining room table or something.


Now they're tucked away in a basket and I can eat dinner without an unfinished project staring me in the face!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment