Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Under the sink disaster

When Mr. Pal & I first looked at our townhome I was so excited to see the large counter and cabinet area in the main bathroom.  I always felt that I never had enough space for our stuff and the large cabinet made me so happy. I couldn't wait to have room for all our stuff.


When we moved in, being that I had more important things to do, like point out where the couch goes, I just crammed all our toiletry stuff under the sink and called it a day.


I tried a few times to organize it, but in the end, it always went back to being a disaster.  The areas I tried to organize were now just little bins of messes.


Yikes!! What is all that stuff? Do we even need it all? It gave me a headache every morning when I grabbed my make-up bag and then would knock over all the bottles around it.  Plus, we never had room for toilet paper, so I would just toss the rolls in the cabinet and slam the door shut.  I like to think I'm organized, but when I'm not happy with something, I tend to make the problem bigger.

So, I figured it was time to face the music cabinet and get organized.  I started by pulling out all our stuff and organizing it into keep and toss piles.  Umm, why am I keeping an giant empty bottle of body lotion?


Here are my two piles.  I'm embarrassed to say that many of the lotion bottles were epmty. I don't know why I didn't toss them when I bought a new bottle.  I feel like a hoarder! So all that stuff in the top picture got tossed.  The pile of stuff in the bottom picture I kept.  I was hoping the toss pile would be bigger, but no such luck!



It looks like we take a lot of baths at that Pal house, but we really don't.  I think I've taken 3 in the two and half years that we've lived here.  I think I'll make it a point to take more since we have a ton of bubble bath stuff.


Once I knew what I was keeping it was time to get the cabinet filled and organized.  I decided to ditch the make-up bag and use a mini-three drawer container to house all my stuff.


That also gave me a designated shelf to place all the stuff I use every day within reach.  Behind that I put all the bubble bath stuff (since now I'm so gonna be a bath girl! haha) in a clear bag.  Now it's all contained in one package.


On the other side I put all our first-aid type stuff in a caddy and then lined up a box next to it for all of Mr. Pal's stuff he uses everyday.  I tried to keep all the remaining items contained in order for nothing to be knocked over and make a mess.


I'm happy with how it turned out.


Now, I just hope it stays this way! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment